Venue for the ArgDiaP events (15-16 Sept):
- Institute for Philosophy & Sociology at the Polish Academy of Sciences, IFiS PAN (the same location as the COMMA events)
Rooms for WAW events:
- ArgSoc & ArgPhil 2018: room 144, 1st floor
- SAFA 2018: room 273, 2nd floor
- COMMA 2018: room 144, 1st floor
- MET-ARG 2018: room 232, 2nd floor
- MET-RhET 2018: room 268, 2nd floor
- ArgDiaP 2018: room 268, 2nd floor
Warsaw Argumentation Week, WAW 2018 (6-16 Sept 2018), is a series of events dedicated to a variety of aspects, dimensions and approaches to argumentation. Its aim is to provide a platform for discussion between researchers representing the wide range of disciplines who try to understand this crucial, fascinating, yet extremely difficult, communication phenomenon.
The WAW series combines events associated with COMMA (Computational Models of Argument) and ArgDiaP (Argumentation, Dialogue, Persuasion). COMMA gathers a large international academic community interested in computational aspects of argumentation. Originated from the ASPIC project and initiated in 2006 in Liverpool, the COMMA conferences have been organised successfully every two years. Since 2014 COMMA has been collocated with the Summer School on Argumentation (SSA) and since 2016 — with themed COMMA workshops. ArgDiaP is a Polish nationwide initiative dedicated to the issues of argumentation, dialogue and persuasion. Established in 2008, ArgDiaP has been continuously providing infrastructure facilitating the networking process and fostering research on argumentation in Poland, including the research of the Polish School of Argumentation. The organisation pursues its goals through several activities such as conferences, workshops, publications and summer schools.
WAW 2018 comprises eight events:
- the interdisciplinary 3rd SSA graduate school (6-10 Sept);
- three COMMA workshops (11 Sept) on formal argumentation, argumentation & society, and argumentation & philosophy;
- the 7th COMMA conference (12-14 Sept);
- two workshops coorganised by ArgDiaP and the Polish Rhetorical Society (15 Sept) on legal argumentation, and rhetoric; and
- the 16th ArgDiaP conference (16 Sept) on “Argumentation and Corpus Linguistics”.
The events include invited talks by prominent experts in the area and will publish a variety of pre- or post-proceedings. For those interested in the participation in multiple WAW events, we offer the possibility of discounts in registration fees.
Warsaw Argumentation Week is hosted by a number of academic institutions and departments in Warsaw and is coordinated by several researchers from Poland: the Polish School of Argumentation in cooperation with our colleagues from France, Germany and the UK.
|Institutional Financial Support||Sponsors||Local Partners|